Frame Fixture (2016-17)

 

I spent about nine months of nights and weekends building this frame-welding fixture. I put a lot of time into researching other designs that already existed, and then I mixed and matched ideas to get at my own thing. I wanted it to be rigid and easy to use, provide good welding access, and work on a wide variety of frames. It’s not something I’m making and selling to the public, and if I do end up making and selling a frame fixture, it will look different from this. I was just building it for my own use, so I didn’t concern myself with whether I was ripping off other people’s ideas. When it comes to making and selling products, I take intellectual property more seriously, and I wouldn’t crassly copy someone else’s ideas without at least advancing the tech or trying to make it different and hopefully better for the end user.

 
Frame Fixture 1.jpg

One of the big ideas for my design was to make the head tube always perpendicular to the main extrusion of the fixture as a way to remove one angular adjustment from the fixture. On my tool the “seat tube angle” is actually the seat tube angle minus the head tube angle. You set up the fixture with a finalized bike frame design and five variables that Bike CAD spits out for you.

Frame Fixture 2.jpg

After I had the fixture together I started to play with some convenience features like this. Here I have a plate that makes it a bit easier to hold the chainstays for welding, and the center boss represents the tire and helps you make sure the stays are symmetrical.

 
Frame Fixture 3.jpg

I painstakingly engraved the angular scale on the tool without a rotary table or CNC capability. I spent all day on this one detail. I would clock the plate half a degree, tram it in using trigonometry and dial indicators, and then clamp it down and machine another line. The reference indicator has a bit of adjustment side-to-side so I can calibrate the tool.

Frame Fixture 4.jpg

For the standoffs that hold the cones and pucks of the fixture, I wanted to go with really heavy duty bar stock for maximum rigidity. When you’re only building one of something, the material cost is not that big of a consideration and if it’s not required to be lightweight like a bike, why not overbuild it.

 
Frame Fixture 5.jpg

This axle and plate bolt to the back of the fixture and mate with the stand for rotation. The four big holes in the face of the plate were only for aesthetic and they were a ton of work to machine manually, but the finished part was so pretty.

Frame Fixture 6.jpg

Similar to the angular scale, the reference pointer here is adjustable for calibration. The linear scale is one of four, as the whole fixture can be setup with an X,Y coordinate for the bottom center point of the head tube, and an X,Y coordinate for the center of the rear axle.

 
Frame Fixture 7.jpg

This is how the seat tube angle is locked into place. I wanted the clamps on the fixture to be as easy to operate with one hand as possible and to all have hand knobs so that you wouldn’t need wrenches to set it up and make adjustments.

Frame Fixture 8.jpg

A picture at the end of the long day when I manually machined all of the witness marks for the angular scale for the seat tube as described above. What a job!

 
Frame Fixture 9.jpg

The heavy duty standoffs for the head tube and the top of the seat tube. The parts that interface with the tubes have been plumbed for argon backpurge for during welding.

Frame Fixture 10.jpg

Here I modified the seat tube standoff to allow a bent seat tube. This design is taken pretty blatantly from Sputnik Tool, and it was one of the first parts I machined with my new CNC mill when I got it up and running in the spring. To truly finish this part I would need to engrave a linear scale on the part and a reference line on the stainless cone.